Tuesday 15 July 2014

DAY 14: MY PARENTS (AND 4 THINGS THEY MIGHT NOT KNOW THEY'VE TAUGHT ME)


I have this annoying thing where I can recall about 70% of a fantastic quote, but never 100% of it, and never with the name of the individual whose wise words have inspired me. So, here’s another piece of a quote that was said – or perhaps even written – by someone great:

“14 years old: mom, you know nothing! I can’t deal with you…
…25 years old: mom, how do you know everything?”

Simple, but true. We really only see the true value of our parents in our lives as we grow older. Someone else (naturally, I have no idea who) said that “youth is wasted on the youth”, and how true is THAT? Imagine we had the carefree spirit, healthy bodies and innocence of youth and the wisdom and sense of calm that comes with another decade under the belt? We’d be super humans. And more than that, our parents wouldn’t have to wait around for countless years for us to ‘get it’. While I am still ‘getting it’ when it comes to life as an adult (presently, my self-diagnosis says I’m in the final stages of denial), these are a few incredible life lessons my parents have taught me:


FOLLOW YOUR OWN PATH (AND DEAL WITH YOUR OWN CONSEQUENCES)

My siblings and I (there are four of us), were never forced to choose a certain group of friends, come home at an exact time, play a certain sport or follow one of three pre-arranged career paths. We were largely left to our own devices, and often, we had to pay the price for making misguided choices.
The freedom to do what I wanted to (but also the knowledge that my choices were my responsibilities) has always been empowering and remains so to this day.


DON’T SPLURGE

My mom has always been extremely thrifty, and my dad a bit less so, but they’ve both managed to take care of all of us without the need for excess. As a family, we generally stay away from credit cards, Louis Vuitton-type brands and jet-setting at every opportunity. It’s not that we never spoil ourselves, or that we can’t buy a brand new car every 24 months, but rather, it’s about not living life on the edge when you really don’t need to – the rewards will come when the time is right.


TAKE CARE OF THINGS

I’ve never lost a cell phone. I’ve never crashed my car. I’ve never smoked. I’ve never not put up the sun deflector across my dashboard on a hot day. I’ve never had a bicycle or a TV game set that didn’t last forever.

It all sounds a bit nerdy and antagonizing when listed like that, but these ‘nevers’ are not unconscious events. It’s a conscious, ingrained desire to take care of my possessions and also myself, and I believe my parents have passed this on to me. From the way my dad has cared for all the vehicles he has owned, to every single thing in my mom’s kitchen, to their combined desire to make sure our gardens were always neat and presentable, I’ve been inspired to also take care of myself and the possessions in my life. And right now, looking back, why wouldn’t I want to continue doing just that?


WIN BATTLES WITH LOGIC, NOT AGGRESSION

This is not something my parents have ever said to me directly, but again, it’s something I’ve certainly learnt from them. I grew up in a ‘non-swearing’ house – it’s not as if they had a sit-down with us when we were pre-schoolers and explained that ‘now my boy, in this house, we do not swear’.

We simply grew up without the need to swear at each other, at our friends or even at shoddy customer service representatives. My dad has always been the picture of calm, but when wronged, he relies on logic and facts to win his argument. I’ve never been in a fight – and no, that’s not just because I’ve always been tiny – rather, I’ve almost never been unable to talk my way out of a precarious situation. If I can’t talk my way out of it, I’ll leave. I’m able to recognise when my own safety is more important than the pride I might have lost in walking away. I didn’t learn how to fight my battles in this way by myself – I learnt it from my parents. 



So, thank you Noel and Delia Furlong for leaving me with these – and many more - irreplaceable life lessons. I’ll always carry them with me.






No comments:

Post a Comment