Tuesday 1 July 2014

Day 2: My Five Favourite Words In English


I’ve never considered myself much of an admirer of superfluous writing draped with more embellishments and gaudy, grating enhancements than that hideous, genuine gold- and red-trimmed Mercedes-Benz McLaren SLR owned by Swiss businessman Ueli Anliker.

See what I did there?

EXCESSIVE: It said more than enough in its pre-modified form.

I’ve always believed that the first rule of anything you write should be to communicate. Failing that is akin to Yokohama designing a brand new tyre that is unable to rotate.
For that reason, I tend to shy away from gigantic words in my own writing, using them sparingly and generally admonishing myself for using them unnecessarily. All of which brings me to five of my favourite words in English, based on their relative simplicity, how classily they roll off the tongue and their ability to create complex, detailed images in your mind’s eye with just a few drops of paint.

(Oh, and as a car enthusiast, please forgive me for all my examples, which are motoring references.)



NUANCE (a subtle difference in a meaning, expression, or sound)

The nuances between the design of the new model and the one it replaces are visible only to the eye of the true enthusiast.


VISCERAL (animal, instinctual, primitive, relating to deep inward feelings rather than intellect)

The reward for having your eardrums ripped to shreds by this mid-engined beast is a driving experience of the most visceral kind.


AESTHETIC (concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty)

It would be silly not to dedicate at least three relatively meaty paragraphs to the aesthetics of the X6, such is the polarizing nature of its design.


VACUOUS (mindless)

I told him that the car looked like it was no longer attached to its chassis, and that there was a hole in the floor under the front seat, but the salesman insisted it was in an excellent condition. Vacuous fool.


IGNORAMUS (an ignorant or stupid person)

Whoever conceived the placement of this electronic parking brake is, in all honesty, an ignoramus.



By the way, choosing five favourite words? NOT AN EASY TASK!


No comments:

Post a Comment