Thursday 17 October 2013

A few quick thoughts on Rihanna


I’m still very much in recovery, but here are a few thoughts on attending what was my first big concert (and consequently my first golden circle experience). Oh, and I have attached no pictures because I just didn’t have the energy to do it. My apologies.


THE GOLDEN CIRCLE

All in all, I stood for over eight hours, which was far more challenging than any tennis match I’ve played, or Argus Tour I’ve cycled. I rested on the shoulders and beneath the armpits of friends and strangers, and while the vibe was definitely exciting, the leg pain was great and the heat / smell almost unbearable at times. Being 1.67m ‘tall’, it only took one or two taller guys directly in front of me to block my entire view. I think watching the big screen from the golden circle defeats the purpose of paying so much to be there, even for a few close-up glimpses of Riri.

It must be said that the general fixation people have with recording every second of the concert on smartphones instead of actually watching and soaking up the experience is incredibly annoying, with many of these screens also blocking my view.

HER VOICE

A close friend and I exchanged a few gasps / laughs during Rihanna’s often hard-to-decipher live vocals, which is a reminder that this is not her strong point. She sang the fairly-easy-to-sing ‘Stay’ really well, but the dance tracks made it hard to hear when she was singing and when she was not. I think a few more low-key, acapella-type snippets thrown in here and there would have been great for connecting with the audience, but there were none.

HER OUTFIT…

…was average. She did look quite cute, but she also didn’t change into anything different all night, and I never imagined this would be something that would be a disappointment, but it was.

THE DANCING

When most Riri fans are celebrating the three times she twerked, then one has to assume there was very little actual dancing, which is true. Sure, Riri swayed back and forth with her special brand of chilled, Caribbean-laced rhythm, but there was a lack of obviously-rehearsed and ‘we-spent-hours-making-this-look-awesome’ performances.

THE SONGS

Thankfully, Riri has a massive catalogue of hits to rely upon and ultimately, we do pay the money to hear the songs that we love. She delivered in terms of performing almost all her big hits, many of them during the second half of the concert, and they were awesome. But I was still watching a lot of it on those big screens… and my knees were still buckling under the pressure.

HER PERSONALITY

I think that the least an artist can do is try – even if somewhat awkwardly – to engage on a personal level with their audience. Unfortunately, Rihanna lived up to the ‘rather vacant between the ears’ impression I had of her, with shouts of ‘Cape Toooooown’ being the apex of her communication with us. This is where the fans want to experience the artist as a person, but I can’t tell you anything about her that I didn’t already know.

There was zero talk of any song meaning something to her and nothing at all about what visiting our country has been like. It just felt very non-personal.

THE BEST MOMENT

‘Stay’ was a welcome relief from the bad, distorted sound that always accompanies big concerts when a bass-heavy dance track is being performed. Being a ballad that didn’t require her entire band, it was so nice to hear her voice.
The Diamonds follow-up was also great, and each built up to my favourite moment, right at the end, when a smiling Riri walked off the stage with a South African flag around her shoulders. It’s safe to say that the concert ended on a much higher note than it began on.


Would I pay R820 for a golden circle ticket again? For Mariah, yes. For someone like an Alicia Keys that takes time to engage with her audience, yes as well. But for most others, probably not.

The Rihanna concert was an okay experience sprinkled with a few really fun moments, but I did leave thinking that in this case, the music ultimately overshadows the star behind it.



3 comments:

  1. I fully agree with your comments. I really felt like she could have put more effort in the production. I was not WOW'ED. There isn't much i can report on the concert to people who were not there last night... meaning the show really never had highlights... just many of her songs sung after each other. My favourite thing about converts is the artist getting personal with the audience and speaking about the songs meaning and about life... EVEN Justin beieber had much more personality than Rihanna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first stadium gig was Bon Jovi way back in '95 -and my last being Red Hot Chilli Peppers earlier this year, so yes I been around -lol - 18 years worth of these gigs to draw from - especially in my approach to the artist/performer at hand.
    To simplify - there are those that sing and those that perform. I'm a former radiohead, I have a feel for what works and what doesn't. I might piss some people off but Rihanna is a manufactured pop star - thank you jay-z - she's never been someone who you can relate to but came out with a bang of club songs and virtualy an album every year to try and validate her "legacy" because really - singers only make money touring and not from album sales. And who is going to see someone who only has a handful of hits? So when they reach their ""superstar" status they push for big venues to cash in on the big bucks. Therein lie the problem. You as a fan have an expectation that has been set by the media on them other than their actual craft. So over the years I have changed my approach to listening to music (Thanks Dad). Look at the artist for the quality of their music and how it translates not to sales but to engagement. Personally, I have thing for pop acts who are reknown for spectacle and making their disposable pop count with their engagement and act. Take the 3 ruling queens of the live show - Madonna, Gaga and Kylie - yes Kylie...Ill show you that DVD soon..They know what their craft and act is about and like the guy above me commented, channel that knowledge into their production. Do your homework and know your audience and your venue and make that work for you as the performer. If you know that you arent the greatest singer but you can put on a show - look at a smaller venue and multiple performances - Both Janet Jackson and Kylie learned from this - your voice will carry and you will be able to engage more. The ones going for the big stadium tend to lip sync more and rely on backing tracks which Im sure you picked up on during the show.This will make a lot of people feel short changed because anyone can listen to a copied CD at home and watch it on youtube.If you know youre not going to sing - you need to give us something to look at ala Madonna,Gaga,Britney since the songs arent really emotionally fullfilling like say someone like Adele or Alanis Morrisette. But I digress - for me Rihanna has always been about quanity over quality. She needs to take her carreer in her own hands and look at what her fans want and what she wants to accomplish and find that balance. Otherwise she will always be an oversexualised vapid puppet who will get beat on repeatedly - Miley are you reading this by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to add that you should look at what you want out of the performance - do you want a jol? to be wow'ed ? or to feel like someone is singing your feelings from the inner depths of your soul ? lol consider that when you decide where you want sit or stand...lolololol

    ReplyDelete