Friday 28 June 2013

C.I.A (Children In Action) Inspires

A few weeks ago, while scrolling through the thousands of emails that Hectic Nine-9 receives, I responded to a guy named Robin, who requested that HN9 get involved in his organization called C.I.A (Children In Action).
Over school holiday periods, this non-profit group travels into different communities, gathers together the children (all kids who are willing) from those communities and then teaches them a variety of skills such as dancing and singing, eventually leading up to a concert attended by the community.
Ultimately, the aim is to get otherwise bored and wandering kids off the streets and involved in something fun that, according to C.I.A’s mission statement, “allow these kids to be the best version of themselves.”

I liked the honesty of Robin’s email to HN9 and agreed to attend their June holiday club yesterday afternoon for some coverage on our social media platforms. This particular holiday club was held in Beacon Valley, in Mitchell’s Plain.

The humble venue was the Emmanuel Apostolic Church in the area, and driving in from the more affluent suburbs that I frequent, I will admit to once again being struck by the very different conditions that our fellow Capetonians call home. But these apprehensions were soon banished once I pulled up and saw the kids – literally in action.

There were singing, dancing and modelling groups, each with a team leader dedicated to that particular group. If there was a kid crying, throwing a tantrum or not looking overjoyed to be there, I didn’t see him (or her).
It was really strange to suddenly have the 7-year old car that I feel is ‘old’ and my pleather jacket both feel like ‘excess’ in this environment, but those were the thoughts running through my head when I first arrived.

I spent the next hour chatting to Robin and Maxine, two leaders of the C.I.A organization, while taking videos and pictures of kids who were putting more heart into their rehearsals than many of us do on lazy Friday afternoons at work. These rehearsals were for the concert – attended by community members and anyone else who is keen to attend – being held tonight.
I also met Caroline, affectionately known as ‘Mama’, in the church’s kitchen, who chatted to me briefly about her passion for caring for these kids by preparing them lunches on the days that the holiday clubs are held. 


The younger singing group were the loudest of the 160 kids 
at the rehearsal day

I suppose I need to get to my point, don’t I? Well, I don’t believe we should brush off moments in life that humble or touch us, so I am sharing mine right here. In this place, on this day, all I saw were happy kids and the giving adults who brought them there for no other reason than because they felt it’s what these kids deserved!



Robin and Maxine, explaining what C.I.A is all about

No matter who we are, where we live or how much kindness we believe resides in our hearts, nothing hits home like visiting the homes of communities on the outskirts of the city, who live vastly different lives than our own. And further to that, spreading the word is not enough either – I was so inspired by Robin, Maxine and the founder of C.I.A (Pastor Michael Feder), that I feel quite upset with myself for not doing more to help others, especially considering that doing good to help others has repeatedly been listed as a sure-fire means of attaining greater inner happiness, and that’s something most of us could use more of.
By writing this little post, I hope that I’ve put some urgency within myself to do something very soon – and not just because I must, or because it is Mandela Day in a few weeks, but because I want to.

The Children In Action mini concert takes place tonight, at 6h30pm, at the Emmanuel Apostolic Church in Beacon Valley, Mitchell’s Plain – entry is free and everyone is welcome.

The C.I.A relies on donations to continue growing and doing the great work they do. To donate anything (non-perishable foods, Christmas toys for the kids for the December holiday club or anything else), contact Robin on 060 334 2627 or email him at robin.vanderbyl@gmail.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment