Saturday 16 August 2014

5 Subtle Signs Of An Approaching Summer


My favourite season of the year has started to show signs of appearing once more. Sometimes, the signs are quite obvious: a 26 degree day in the middle of winter, which sees hoards of Capetonians flock to the beach as if they had never before seen seawater.

But it’s the more subtle signs that summer is near that I relish most.

The menial tasks that become easier. The simple joys of life that, in winter, were complicated terrors:


OPENING PATIO/COURTYARD DOORS

This morning, like a ground squirrel coming out of hibernation, I slowly opened my patio door and peered out tentatively. There was no chill factor that violently slapped me across the face for daring to step outside. No water dripping from the gutter above. No puddles, branches and sad, dead leaves to navigate. There was the distinct smell of spring in the air, and I was able to cook breakfast with an open door for the first time in months – seems insignificant, but it was so, so good.


DOING A NORMAL-SIZED LOAD OF WASHING

In winter, doing washing usually means throwing five desperately needed items into the machine and praying that they will be dry in something under 48 hours. Today, I did a full load and then hung it all up – gasp – outside.

Who knew?

Even more impressive is that everything will probably be dry by this evening.


DRINKING WATER WITHOUT WINCING

I recently started a group fitness class with a few colleagues and our instructor has been insisting we increase our intake of water, for several obvious reasons.

But drinking a cold glass of water in winter? There is actual physical pain involved.

This morning, however, that first glass went down just a little bit more easily (nearby, a Chestnut Sparrow also tweeted from a tree, as if to approve of my healthier choices. I’m not sure if it was a Chestnut Sparrow, but it sounded appropriately exotic).


COLDPLAY & JIMMY NEVIS

Let’s ignore the juxtaposition of Coldplay in a post about summer for a minute. But I also played my favourite feel-good, summer vibes album for the first time today: Coldplay’s Mylo Xyloto.
If memory serves me, the album was released in the summer of 2011 (or, that’s when I first caught onto it), and the likes of Paradise and Hurts Like Heaven are the perfect accompaniment to the summer season, which makes quite a change from cold winter’s nights just trying to ‘make it through the rain…’

My other favourite feel-good album is Jimmy’s Subliminal. The fact that he’s set to release a new album imminently means there’ll be another one to add to the summer season’s playlist.



DRIVING WITH THE WINDOWS ALL THE WAY DOWN

I’m all about car air-conditioners.

I love being able to select the perfect temperature (whether hot or cold) to remain comfortable.

But after months of the car heater at full blast, there’s nothing quite as refreshing as that first drive with the windows all the way down and one of those aforementioned albums at full volume. There hasn’t quite been a warm enough day for windows to be turned all the way down, but slowly but surely, I’m able to let the air in, which only means summer is near.



So yes, the warm season is on its way and its hard not to get delirious with excitement when you live in the best city in the world. And even though I’ll be spending two and a half weeks of a South African summer in the midst of a European winter (now that is going to be something), I’ll be sure to get in my fair share of beach time before I jet off.

If you're still not feeling the summer spirit, I'll leave you with this beautiful picture of a recent Camps Bay sunset taken by my friend, Lesego:



No comments:

Post a Comment